June 30, 2011

Oh Nuts!

For my loyal blog followers, you are fully aware of the strange animal sightings at my place of employment. In recent months the art gallery I work for found itself invested with mice and rats who cleverly attacked the multiple candy bowls nightly. Exterminator after exterminator tried deep cleanses to send this persistent creatures back to the shadows, when peace finally settled upon the gallery. But as the old saying goes, "When the cats away the mice will play"... well in this case when the mice are away the squirrels will play!

Just a usual Friday at work commenced like any other. With my boss and two fellow employees (Erin and Ryan) next door working on a project, I was left to my own devices among the paintings. The overcast skies and scattered thunder storms left the summer air crisp and moist. There was no need for the air conditioning, so I left the front door ajar as to allow the stagnant gallery air an escape. I proceeded to walk away from my desk heading to the back room when all of a sudden I heard scratching against the hardwood floor. Turning with the utmost care I found a bushy tailed squirrel making its cordial approach to my feet! I froze, praying this beast would exhibit no signs of rabid behavior and dialed the phone as fast as my fingers would allow.

Now... my coworkers are quite use to my "dramatic antics." The Mouse Hunt of  2010 hit us all with a good dose of humility. My eyes fixated on this devious creature, who he return played my staring game. The dial tone turned from ringing to Ryan's voice, "Chetkin Custom Framing how may I..."

"AHHHHHHHH! RYAN! THERE IS A SQUIRREL IN THE GALLERY RYAN! A SQUIRREL JUST RAN IN HERE. OH MY GOD HELP ME. HELP ME!" I calmly explained.

A blast of laughter filled my ear as Ryan shouted back, "We are all coming over!"

In the mists of my blood curdling cries for help, the squirrel spooked and ran of course to the back room where all of our inventory safely sleeps. One by one my boss, Erin, and Ryan trickled into the gallery.

"Where did he go?" My boss said, not sounding too happy.

"He's in the back room somewhere." All four of us turned to looks as a furry head poked around the door frame to scope out the competition, then retreated to the top shelves of the back room. Erin and my boss flew to as they slammed  the door behind Ryan and I.

"Stay here and watch the gallery. Erin and I will try to maneuver him out the back door." Ryan and I fought to contain our laughter when all of a sudden we heard crashing followed by a shrill cry, "OH MY GOD HE IS ON YOU HE IS ON YOU. AHHHH GET HIM OFF HE'S ON YOU!" We are the calmest and most poised of women... don't you think? Apparently the squirrel jumped onto my boss's shoulder and shimmed down her body! Ryan bee-lined for the front door as an explosion of his laughter filled the gallery; I myself tried to fight the urge.

Suddenly, the floating head of my boss peeked through the door's crack to ask Ryan if HE in fact was afraid of squirrels. Ryan valiantly marched to the back of the room and shut the door behind him. A few screams and scraps could be heard as I chuckled trying hard to vividly picture the battle scene taking place. A quiet finally settled over the gallery as the door slowly opened and three battered and beaten individuals emerged. Ryan somehow was able to sachet our little visitor out the back door.

A week later Erin, Ryan, and I still find ourselves smirking whenever a squirrel passes by. This creature of curiosity was able to shake up just an ordinary day, adding to a growing list of animal tales we are accumulating at the gallery. I would like to bid a special thank you to this squirrel.... Know that you are always welcome here whenever we are in need of a little adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment