January 7, 2012

"A Night Without Time"

In yoga class tonight, our instructor asked for us all to lay quietly on our mats with eyes gently closed, and envision a moment in our lives when we completely lost track of time. He insisted as adults, this is a very difficult task to perform. We grown ups are constantly constrained by schedules: work, school, gym, meetings, appointments... all imprisoning our valued time. Those care free days of child's play are tossed and forgotten; days of hanging out in the grass with only a few friends and our imaginations. It was then time ceased to exist. As I lay on my mat I searched deep into my memory, hoping to find a moment where time simply escaped me recently. That is where my story begins...

 "A Night Without Time"

A long evening of waiting tables left me in a haggard state. My feet ached from their 12 hour stance upon the hard, marble floor. My arms hung limply, fatigued from their balancing act of hot plates and filled cups. My smile however never seemed to falter. The crisp, autumn air left a slight chill upon my cheeks as I climbed into my jeep, loading up the two dinners I had ordered. As the car came to life an old, familiar love song filled the quiet space with its sweet, nostalgic melody. I smirked in delight and speedily drove away.

He was there, already awaiting my arrival. A dark green hood cloaked his handsome face, but could not mask his boyish grin. The excitement of this night renewed my energy, propelling me out of the car and into his welcoming arms. The smell of his sweet skin and heat from his touch steadied my beating heart. Our embrace soon broke in realization of the dinners patiently seated on my passenger's side. After a slight battle with the front door and small talk with my family, the two of us journeyed into the dark of my backyard.

I laid the blankets delicately onto the cool, wet grass watching as his sturdy arms stack the wooden logs onto the fire pit where a warm, glowing flame took center stage. We nestled down next to each other going back and forth between bites of food, talks of our day, and silent glances. I was met by his rugged profile in the fire's light. Those soft lips were hidden by the scurf of his beard, yet his dark, round eyes shone so prominently.  As the food finished, I couldn't help but feel a growing need to be closer. He gingerly stoked the fire before retiring his back fully onto the ground. My head pillowed itself atop his chest while our hands slowly intertwined.

The midnight sky lingered above us ever so clearly. Each star glistened like a diamond with the occasional one falling down to earth hoping to be wished upon. We began playing a little game, counting who could see the most shooting stars. I laid there in tranquility listening to the sweet sound of his heart beating, feeling his chest rise and fall with every breath. His hands lightly grazed up and down my back, making their way to tousle playfully with my hair, stroking back the strays that escaped to my face. I watched the silhouette of his mouth come to life as he spoke to me, learning his secrets and his passions, his fears and his stories; all sculpting this man I was lying beside. I felt his following eyes upon my face as he listened back intently to my replies and personal anecdotes.

The fire slowly died stealing away the warmth we had grown acquainted with. Neither one of us wished to break our hold on each other. I made out traces of our hot breathe dancing upon the cold, October air. He turned to face me, searching for my lips with his in the dark. Strong hands caressed both sides of my face as his body pressed firmly against mine. This tender kiss was interrupted by shivers alerting us to the rapidly declining temperature. We ventured into the security of my home wrapping ourselves in wool blankets and each other on the couch.

***

Suddenly I awoke to a pitch black room, my head bobbing up and down on a moving surface, utterly cocooned. I scanned the darkness when my eyes fell to blinking, red numbers that screamed "4:00 a.m."! He began to stir ever so slightly, eyes fluttering open to my tired smile. His gaze transferred to the demonic numbers as well, believing it merely a funny trick. But... the clock never lies.

"Stay," I said through a sleepy yawn.
"OK," he said gently kissing my forehead and closing his eyes once more.



This was my night without time, and whenever I look to the night sky decorated with a million stars,  I remember... when did time last escape you?

No comments:

Post a Comment