November 12, 2010

Paranormal Activity

I have always believed in a world beyond our own; where the spirits step out of their heavenly realm to play tricks on the innocent living. Even as a child I was fascinated by the true life ghost stories and have been turned on to shows like "Haunted History", "Ghost Hunters", and "Ghost Stories". I have journeyed on many a ghost tour in lovely Colonial Williamsburg as well as Boston and Gettysburg. But it was not until recently that I fell prey to my own ghost story... or so I believed.

I work at an art gallery in charming Red Bank, NJ. This small, quaint town has its share of little boutiques, delicious restaurants,  elegant bars, and some of the oldest buildings in the tri-state area. I just so happen to work in one such building. Constructed in the mid 1800s, the building originally served as a school for young girls. The downstairs clearly resembles a living room and kitchen. Follow the steep, tiny stairs to the second floor and you have entered many little areas mimicking bedrooms. Now of course the place (from ceiling to floor) is covered with the art we collect from overseas.

Ever since my start here, I have had a shaky suspicion of "paranormal activity" taking place. The TV in the back room turns on and off without assistance from anyone. The pattering of footsteps can undoubtedly be heard mulling about the second floor. Also, items mysteriously go missing, repeatedly.

One such item that seems to be disappearing lately are the chocolates I have placed at the edge of my desk. Every night I leave work and the chocolate bowl is filled to the brim. In the morning when I return all of the chocolates are gone! The owners have been made privy to the situation and believe  adorable, fuzzy critters are finding their way into the gallery for a late night snack. If that is the case, why do we never find wrappers? Why do we never find tiny critter droppings? This is because we have fallen into ghostly traps!

I told two of my co-workers, Erin and Ryan, (who work in our frame shop adjacent to the gallery) my theories behind "who stole the candy from the candy jar." Each morning they receive a chocolate update whenever I return to an empty bowl. "The ghost is at it again!" I say on the phone. Erin believes in the supernatural to some degree, but Ryan's hipster and skeptical attitude just leads to an eye roll.


Yesterday morning I went about my usual routine. I pulled into work, unlocked all of the doors, hung my coat up, checked for messages, looked in the candy bowl and... NO CANDY AGAIN! I behaved calmly (though slightly annoyed) since this has become a constant habit, but placed next to the candy bowl was a neon, pink post-it note that read "Thanks." All of the blood drained out of my face and my eyes widen as I stood frozen in fear. "Now the ghost is leaving messages?!" This was a bit too much to handle.

 Immediately I called Erin. "Erin, the candy bowl is empty and there is a note with it too!" I heard giggles on the other end of the phone, "Ok, I'm sending Ryan over." As soon as Ryan walked in the door I knew what was going on. "The ghost left you a note!" he said through fits of laughter. "Ryan, did you and Erin take my candy?" Ryan exploded onto the floor as he tried shaking his head no, then yes. I ran next door to find Erin also crippled on the floor with laughter. Before arriving to work they sneaked into the gallery, turned off the alarm, took all my candy via Ryan's hood, left a little message, reactivated the alarm, and hid the candy in the frame shop. I have to admit it was a cleverly executed plan, and seeing as I am the baby and most gullible of our little trio... it was a sure fire prank.

I still remain a believer of the "Gallery Ghost" and know that in due time all will reveal itself. But from now I am hiding my candy before leaving work!

No comments:

Post a Comment